Friday 22 March 2013

Remember

My eldest, Daniel is 6.  Yesterday he chose to stay in the car with me whilst his younger brothers accompanied their Dad into the bank.  He turned to me:

‘You can tell me stories from when you were young, instead.’ He said.  

My heart swelled until he added a condition: ‘Funny stories.’

I racked my brain to remember some and told him a few – of the escaping school bunny, of my brother’s tendency to stroke his teacher’s leg at story time when he was 6 (she had silky tights on apparently) and of my sister calling the fire brigade age 2 and a fire engine turning up at the house (they have heard that story before but it is one of their favourites). 

And as I searched and searched my brain, I realized that I need to sit down and think and even write some notes:

What have been the faith-changing moments in my life? What are the stories that accompany them?

What things can and must I share with my children: the stories that will stay with them for all of their lives and be a reference for their own spiritual walk?  

Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them fade from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them. 
Deuteronomy 4:9

Five Minute Friday

2 comments:

  1. Lovely post :-) can't wait to tell my boys stories from their past!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post and love the idea of sitting down and writing down specific memories for your children.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...