Wednesday 27 October 2010

Fresh bread

I arrived at the bakery yesterday afternoon just as the fresh bread was being cooked for the afternoon rush. The flat soft breads that my children love weren’t out yet.

“Ten minutes” said the lady behind the counter. “They’re just being cooked.”

Now ‘ten minutes’ in Peru is a rather non-descript time. It could mean anything from 10 minutes to an hour. Normally, around 20 minutes. I wasn’t sure whether to wait or not, so I decided I would buy the boys a drink and if they weren’t too restless, to ask again when they had finished.

“Five minutes. They don’t take long. Just coming out.”

Ok. Seems like progress. I’ll wait then.

The boys and I looked at all the cakes and bread on display. Joel pointed out the strawberry jam from the butter cabinet and Daniel wanted to know how long the bread was going to take. He wanted to know why it was only our bread that wasn’t yet available. (I did too!)

The bread finished cooking. A short time later, which felt like an age, with the children pestering me for the bread, the girl handed me a brown bag with 10 freshly cooked rolls in it. The boys took one each and we headed off home.

A few years back, I had a dream where I was eating stale bread. In the morning, I felt God say to me that he did not want me to settle for yesterday’s revelation from Him, but to ask him for the bread for today.

Sometimes, I have to wait awhile until I get it.

But it is never late, and always worth the wait.

For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false.

Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay. – Habakkuk 2:3

Do you settle for yesterday’s stale bread or are you prepared to wait for today’s revelation?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...